CLEVELAND HEIGHTS, Ohio — Former Cain Park General Manager Suzanne Conway told city officials that her new job was already taking a toll on her health, prompting her to quit after about six months
The city released her email resignation correspondence last week after a public records request
In her resignation email, she thanked Mayor Jim Petras and Parks & Recreation Director Andres Gonzalez for the opportunity
Conway added that when she started the job, “it was my sincere hope to be in this position well into the future.”
“But present circumstances have made that impossible without sacrificing my mental and physical health,” Conway said
As a personnel matter, city officials declined to discuss the circumstances surrounding her departure any further
She resigned on the night of July 14, two days after the weekend-long Cain Park Arts Festival, which in addition to being hectic, had its own share of controversies this year
This included police being called in on a dispute over artistic and political freedoms on Cain Park’s “community expression wall,” where the public is invited to paint murals during the arts festival
Gonzalez emailed her back, accepting her resignation and adding, “We appreciate your efforts and wish you the best of luck moving forward.”
Petras followed up in his own email, telling Conway, “We’re grateful for your contributions during your time with Cain Park
“I understand and respect your decision, and I wish you nothing but the best as you move forward,” Petras added
A month later, Gonzalez continues oversight of Cain Park operations and staff, saying it’s been a challenge
“But it’s going about as smoothly as it can go — with no GM,” he said at Monday’s council meeting (Aug. 17)
He referred further questions to Petras
Petras noted that the city has Heights resident Colleen Miller under contract for a return engagement
She and her husband, Mike Miller, own the Music Box Supper Club in the Flats, which they are now transitioning to an employee ownership trust
Colleen stepped in at Cain Park last year after the city and former GM Ian Hinz parted company
With the exception of the Elle King show booked by Conway after her arrival in February, Petras credited Miller with putting the rest of Cain Park’s 2026 concert season together during her previous stint
“Colleen has agreed to come back on a temporary basis, working about 20 to 30 hours a week,” Petras said
As for the city’s direction on a new full-time GM, City Administrator Michael Reese said that remains “undetermined” at this point
Read more from theSun Press


