Close Menu
HealthJustFineHealthJustFine

    Subscribe to Updates

    Get the latest creative news from FooBar about art, design and business.

    What's Hot

    Google’s Pixel Watch 5 is promising — but it isn’t finished

    August 20, 2026

    New Microbiome Vaccine Program (MVP) at UCLA aims to harness gut microbes and immune system against cancer-promoting bacteria

    August 20, 2026

    Niva Bupa, ICICI Lombard lead July insurance growth; Bajaj General, Star Health steady: Kotak- Moneycontrol.com

    August 20, 2026
    Facebook X (Twitter) Instagram
    HealthJustFineHealthJustFine
    Facebook X (Twitter) Instagram
    • Home
    • General Health News
    • Sleep Health
    • Mental Wellness
    • Fitness & Recovery
    • Health Tech & Wearables
    • More
      • Longevity & Anti-Aging
      • Women’s Hormone Health
      • Gut Health & Microbiome
      • Metabolic Health & Blood Sugar
      • Nutrition & Anti-Inflammatory Foods
    HealthJustFineHealthJustFine
    Home»General Health News»Mike Nesbitt: Health minister resigns amid row with UUP leader
    General Health News

    Mike Nesbitt: Health minister resigns amid row with UUP leader

    HealthJustfine TeamBy HealthJustfine TeamAugust 20, 2026No Comments8 Mins Read
    Facebook Twitter Pinterest LinkedIn Tumblr Reddit WhatsApp Email
    Mike Nesbitt: Health minister resigns amid row with UUP leader
    Share
    Facebook Twitter LinkedIn Pinterest WhatsApp Email

    PA Media Jon Burrown and Mike Nesbitt. Jon os bald, wearing a white shirt and blue suit. Mike has short grey hair, wearing a white shirt, grey tie and black blazer.
    PA Media
    Mike Nesbitt’s resignation comes amid a row with the UUP leader Jon Burrows

    Mike Nesbitt has resigned as health minister amid a row with the UUP leader Jon Burrows

    The decision comes following a clash over withdrawing emergency general surgery services from Causeway Hospital

    Nesbitt served twice as leader of the party, first from 2012 until 2017 and again from 2024 until earlier this year when Burrows took over

    Burrows thanked him for his service, saying he “took on arguably the hardest job in government”

    The UUP leader said he plans to discuss the health brief with party colleagues and will confirm a nomination soon

    Nesbitt said his time as health minster was “the greatest privilege of his political career”

    Another ex-leader Doug Beattie quit the UUP in May, lashing out at Burrows’ leadership

    It is unclear whether Nesbitt will follow suit and quit the party as well as resigning his ministry

    PA Media Jon Burrows is talking. He's wearing a navy suit with a white and blue stripped shirt and a navy tie with a pattern. The background is out of focus.
    PA Media
    Jon Burrows had previously said he did not support EGS being removed from Causeway Hospital

    Last week Burrows, who is a North Antrim MLA, told a town hall meeting that he did not support emergency general surgery (EGS) being moved from Causeway Hospital

    The Northern Health Trust previously recommended that EGS should only be provided at one of its hospital sites. The service would move to Antrim

    It is understood the Department of Health (DoH) was still waiting for a final recommendation to come to the minister

    Nesbitt was unable to attend last week’s meeting due to a constituency election meeting in Strangford and Burrows attended in his place, where he voiced opposition to the closure of the EGS service

    Last week he said he did not agree with that and would “never agree with it”

    “Emergency surgery must remain at the Causeway Hospital and it should be built up, not run down and that is my position and it’s not for negotiation.”

    However, he stopped short of saying whether or not he would direct Nesbitt not to sign off on the move

    Speaking on Wednesday morning, after the resignation, Burrows acknowledged the need for reform but said “how we deliver reform is every bit as important as what we ultimately decide”

    He said “safe, sustainable services,” are the priority and reform must also address “health inequalities and regional imbalance, and recognise that people in different parts of Northern Ireland do not currently enjoy equal access to timely healthcare”

    He said “reform cannot simply be done to communities”

    “I don’t believe we have got that balance right, and the strength of feeling around Causeway shows what happens when communities feel decisions are arriving rather than being made with them”

    Causeway Hospital: how can UUP leader speak out against a policy his own Health Minister is implementing?

    In his resignation letter, Nesbitt said that when Burrows became party leader, he told him his “one ‘red line'” was puberty blockers and his “opposition to Northern Ireland participating in the Pathways trial”

    In a copy of the letter he sent to Burrows, posted on social media, Nesbitt said the party leader had now “introduced a second red line” regarding the EGS at Causeway Hospital

    Nesbitt said he had discovered Burrows’ view of “issues under [his] purview” by “monitoring the media”

    “Yesterday, I offered you a way to manage this situation. As I have not received a timely response and given the shock waves you have created in the HSC system, this matter needs resolved,” he said

    In his statement on Wednesday, Burrows described Nesbitt as approaching his ministerial position “with seriousness, integrity and a determination” and said the direction he set on tackling issues would continue

    In a statement on Tuesday, a UUP spokesperson thanked Nesbitt “sincerely for his service and for the leadership he has given to our health and social care workforce”

    “Mike took on one of the most difficult briefs in government with a genuine determination to make health and social care better for everyone in Northern Ireland

    “From beginning the shift towards a neighbourhood model of care, to putting health inequalities at the centre of policy, he leaves a significant legacy, not least the progress made on some of Northern Ireland’s longest waiting lists.”

    It is unclear who will take over as health minister but Nesbitt’s decision to quit leaves the party seven days to nominate a replacement

    A Northern Trust spokesperson said the current model of providing emergency general surgery across two acute sites is becoming “increasingly unsustainable” and surgical colleagues are finding it challenging to provide 24/7 emergency rota cover at both hospitals

    The trust said that in absence of a Ministerial decision, “we will continue to do all we can…to ensure our general surgery service remains as safe and stable as possible, with patient safety our utmost priority. Our preference remains for a planned and managed change that will ensure we can avoid a potential service collapse”

    Campaigners have said withdrawing emergency general surgery (EGS) from Causeway Hospital would create a domino effect leading to other services being withdrawn

    Getty Images A man with short fair haired wears a black suit and blue shirt. He stands in front of a blue screen.
    Getty Images
    Sir Chris Bryant said it was vital for patients across Northern Ireland that work carry on without interruption, following the resignation

    Northern Ireland Secretary Sir Chris Bryant thanked Nesbitt “for the enormous contribution” he made during his time as health minster “in confronting the huge challenges facing the health service and driving forward reform”

    He said it was “vital for patients across Northern Ireland that this work continues without interruption”

    Reuters Michelle ONeill with blonde hair wearing a black blazer
    Reuters
    Michelle O’Neill said Nesbitt’s presence in the executive would be missed

    First Minister Michelle O’Neill said she was “genuinely sorry” to see Nesbitt resign

    “I believe his presence in the executive will be missed,” she posted on social media

    “He played a constructive and mature part in the executive and was making welcome progress in reducing waiting lists.”

    The chair of Stormont’s health committee, Sinn Féin MLA Phillip McGuigan, said he was convening an urgent meeting of the committee, adding that “patients and staff need leadership, stability and clarity”

    PA Media Emma Little Pengelly with black hair and pearl earrings
    PA Media
    Emma Little-Pengelly said “work must continue” and that she would “push for accelerated delivery”

    Deputy First Minister Emma Little-Pengelly thanked Nesbitt “for the positive engagement on a range of issues, particularly on health waiting lists”

    She said “work must continue” and that she would “push for accelerated delivery”

    “Too many people were and are waiting much too long – for operations, for investigations and tests, for the much-needed medical interventions. Access to GPs continues to be a huge and frustrating issue for people all over Northern Ireland,” she said in a social media post

    DUP MLA Paul Frew urges UUP to reassure the public as Health Minister resigns in bust-up with party leader Burrows

    DUP leader Gavin Robinson said there was a test for Burrows

    “Will he appoint a Health Minister who will deliver the commitment he made to the people of Causeway, or will he walk away from the Executive and surrender responsibility for Health altogether?”

    Speaking on Radio Ulster’s The Nolan Show, the DUP’s Paul Frew said that if this were to happen, the D’Hondt system would be triggered, and he believed the DUP would be the next party in line for that ministry

    PA Media Matthew O'Toole speaking. He is wearing a coat and tie. Background is out of focus
    PA Media
    Matthew O’Toole said the news comes as “an insult to healthcare workers and patients”

    Stormont’s leader of the opposition, Matthew O’Toole, said the resignation underlined the need for a more serious and responsible approach to government in Northern Ireland

    He said the news would “come as an insult to healthcare workers and patients who had been promised a serious approach to reforming our broken system”

    “Once again, our public services are undermined by irresponsibility, short-termism and political game-playing.”

    Alliance Party leader Naomi Long said her immediate concern was “for those who work in the health service and the patients reliant on its effectiveness”

    “Credit to Mike Nesbitt with whom I have worked well,” she added

    The party’s health spokesperson, Nuala McAllister, accused Burrows of putting “the cart before the horse” when he said he would never support the removal of services from the hospital because Stormont politicians are still waiting for the final evidence from experts

    “I think it would have been untenable for Mike to remain in his position…when his party leader has come out against decisions,” she added

    Independent MLA for the area where the Causeway Hospital is situated, Claire Sugden, described Nesbitt’s resignation as “regrettable” and told North West Today “we are at a point in the mandate where any new successor in the health portfolio is really there in a caretaking role.”

    John Compton, former head of the Health and Social Care Board, reacts as Health Minister resigns over row with party leader

    Aontú deputy leader Gemma Brolly, who is chair of the SoS Causeway Hospital campaign group, said the new health minister must prioritise and defend services at the site

    She said her priority was “to halt the pattern of stripping essential services” from the hospital

    Northern Ireland
    Mike Nesbitt
    NI Health
    UUP (Ulster Unionist Party)

    Health Mike Minister Nesbitt resigns
    HealthJustfine Team
    • Website
    • Facebook

    Related Posts

    Niva Bupa, ICICI Lombard lead July insurance growth; Bajaj General, Star Health steady: Kotak- Moneycontrol.com

    August 20, 2026

    After a year of turmoil, WHO remains a pillar of global health – Geneva Solutions

    August 19, 2026

    Jefferson County health officials share back-to-school tips to keep students healthy

    August 19, 2026
    Leave A Reply Cancel Reply

    Don't Miss
    Health Tech & Wearables

    Google’s Pixel Watch 5 is promising — but it isn’t finished

    By HealthJustfine TeamAugust 20, 20260

    Think of this as part one of the Pixel Watch 5 review as most of the new features aren’t out yet. That said, GPS rocks

    New Microbiome Vaccine Program (MVP) at UCLA aims to harness gut microbes and immune system against cancer-promoting bacteria

    August 20, 2026

    Niva Bupa, ICICI Lombard lead July insurance growth; Bajaj General, Star Health steady: Kotak- Moneycontrol.com

    August 20, 2026

    Mike Nesbitt: Health minister resigns amid row with UUP leader

    August 20, 2026
    Stay In Touch
    • Facebook
    • Twitter
    • Pinterest
    • Instagram
    • YouTube
    • Vimeo
    Our Picks

    Expert shares 6 tips to recover faster and stronger after intense workout sessions- Moneycontrol.com

    June 28, 2026

    These Viral Fitness & Wellness Recovery Products Are Taking Over TikTok Ahead of Prime Day

    June 28, 2026

    Life Time Has Created a Fitness and Recovery Paradise – Muscle & Fitness

    June 28, 2026

    The Movement Twenty Four: New 24-Hour Fitness and Recovery Hub Opens Down South

    June 28, 2026

    Subscribe to Updates

    Get the latest creative news from SmartMag about art & design.

    About Us

    Welcome to HealthJustFine.com, your trusted destination for reliable health news, wellness insights, and evidence-based information that empowers you to live a healthier life.
    Our mission is to make quality health information accessible, easy to understand, and relevant for everyone. We believe that staying informed is the first step toward making better decisions about your health, nutrition, fitness, and overall well-being. That’s why we deliver timely updates on the latest medical research, healthy living trends, preventive care, and wellness innovations from around the world.

    Our Picks

    Google’s Pixel Watch 5 is promising — but it isn’t finished

    August 20, 2026

    New Microbiome Vaccine Program (MVP) at UCLA aims to harness gut microbes and immune system against cancer-promoting bacteria

    August 20, 2026

    Niva Bupa, ICICI Lombard lead July insurance growth; Bajaj General, Star Health steady: Kotak- Moneycontrol.com

    August 20, 2026
    Latest Posts

    Expert shares 6 tips to recover faster and stronger after intense workout sessions- Moneycontrol.com

    June 28, 2026

    These Viral Fitness & Wellness Recovery Products Are Taking Over TikTok Ahead of Prime Day

    June 28, 2026

    Life Time Has Created a Fitness and Recovery Paradise – Muscle & Fitness

    June 28, 2026
    Facebook X (Twitter) Instagram Pinterest
    • About Us
    • Contact Us
    • Terms & Conditions
    • Privacy Policy
    • Disclaimer

    © 2026 healthjustfine.com. All rights reserved. Designed by DD.

    Type above and press Enter to search. Press Esc to cancel.